The Medical College of Wisconsin is a private educational institution that offers MD, PhD, MS, MA, and MPH degrees.
1893: The College was founded as the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons.
1913: The Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons and the Milwaukee Medical College merged to form Marquette University School of Medicine.
1963: Neurosurgery became a Division of Surgery with full-time faculty; Dr. Sanford Larson was recruited as the first Chair of Neurosurgery.
1964: The department’s Neuroscience Research Laboratories founded by Drs. Sanford Larson and Anthony Sances, Jr., at the Clement J. Zablocki VA Medical Center as a joint program with the Department of Biomedical Engineering of Marquette University.
1967: The medical school separated from Marquette University to become a free standing institution, and subsequently was named the Medical College of Wisconsin.
1971: First neurosurgery resident completed the training program.
1978: The College relocated to its present location in suburban Milwaukee, on the campus of the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center. Other institutions on the campus include Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital, Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee County Mental Health Complex, Curative Rehabilitation Services, and the Blood Research Institute of the Blood Center of Southeastern Wisconsin. MCW benefits from a close working relationship with these institutions, as well as with other Milwaukee institutions, including the Clement J. Zablocki VA Medical Center, Marquette University, Milwaukee School of Engineering, and the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.